- What is cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
OSTEON D3( Cholecalciferol) is a vitamin D3. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
OSTEON D3( Cholecalciferol) is used to treat or prevent many conditions caused by a lack of vitamin D, especially conditions of the skin or bones.
Cholecalciferol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
- What is the most important information I should know about cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
You should not use cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D in your blood, or if you have any condition that makes it hard for your body to absorb nutrients from food (malabsorption).
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
You should not use cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin D, or if you have:
· high levels of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia);
· high levels of vitamin D in your body (hypervitaminosis D); or
· any condition that makes it hard for your body to absorb nutrients from food (malabsorption).
To make sure you can safely take cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) , tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
· heart disease;
· kidney disease; or
· an electrolyte imbalance.
Your cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) dose needs may change if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment, or if you are breast-feeding a baby.
- How should I take cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
Cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include a special diet. It is very important to follow the diet plan created for you by your doctor or nutrition counselor. You should become very familiar with the list of foods you must eat or avoid to help control your condition.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, light, and heat.
- What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
- What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention.
- What should I avoid while taking cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
Do not take other vitamin or mineral supplements unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid using calcium supplements or antacids without your doctor's advice. Use only the specific type of supplement or antacid your doctor recommends.
- Cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) and call your doctor at once if you have:
· thinking problems, changes in behavior, feeling irritable;
· urinating more than usual;
· chest pain, feeling short of breath; or
· early signs of vitamin D overdose (weakness, metallic taste in your mouth, weight loss, muscle or bone pain, constipation, nausea, and vomiting).
- What other drugs will affect cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)?
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3) if you are also using any of the following drugs:
· seizure medication;
· cholestyramine, colestipol;
· digoxin; or
· A diuretic or "water pill."
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3), including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.
- Where can I get more information?
· Your healthcare provider can provide more information about cholecalciferol (OSTEON D3)